The oil and gas sector has evolved dramatically over the last few decades with the technical advancements, shifting economic circumstances, and rising energy consumption driven by changing consumer behavior. All of these developments are presenting engineers and technical workers with new prospects.
The energy sector is continuously looking for new talent as there is an emerging talent gap.
The current workforce will be retiring in the coming years and thus, it has opened up the doors for the new generation with immense opportunities to work. With the evolving industry there are a myriad range of jobs in sustainability, robotics, AI and IT sector.
When it comes to tracing relevant information and guidance for the freshers in the oil and gas industry, it can be difficult to find information on search engines. Thus, we have crafted a few tips which you should follow as a fresher in the field of the oil and gas industry:
Change your perception about the industry: Your present employment, education, and work experience will not hold you back there are varieties of oil and gas jobs available for freshers, graduates and engineers from various fields. Many businesses, such as the power and construction industries, offer job experiences that may be transferred. People with the appropriate abilities and a desire to learn are always welcomed by organizations for the appropriate oil and gas jobs.
Discover the opportunities: Offshore rigs and drilling platforms aren’t the only places where you may work in the petroleum industry. Many diverse skill sets are required as the lifecycle of an oil and gas project progresses from initial design through decommissioning and, finally, refining. Once you discover your interest, it becomes easier to acquire the right degree and the experience required for a job in the industry.
Get a degree, pick the right university: Most people who begin entry-level employment intending to work their way up the corporate ladder quickly realize that this is difficult. Thus, it becomes very crucial to get a degree and pick the right university to have an edge over the rest of the profiles on the desk. Furthermore, before you commence your journey, you need to understand what are the skills and expertise required to get the right oil and gas job. Here are a few universities you can pick to enter the oil and gas industries:
- California Institute of Technology
- The University of Colorado at Boulder
- Columbia University
- Purdue University
- Canada’s Northern Alberta Institute of Technology
- The University of Texas at Austin
- Texas A&M University
- Stanford University
- Colorado School of Mines
- Pennsylvania State University
- The University of Tulsa
Brush engineering experience: There are a lot of major oil and gas companies, like Shell, Chevron, BP, ExxonMobil, and Total, which offer internship programmes which do not require work experience and exposure to the oil and gas industry. Graduates from varied backgrounds are considered for these internship programmes . Also the graduate training programs offered by GET, helps fresh graduates to get employment at the entry level in the oil and gas industry.
Pros of the oil and gas industry
Let’s take a look at the listicle of pros, shall we?
- Offshore and oilfield occupations are constantly evolving, and technical requirements change as projects proceed. Working in oil and gas engineering will allow you to travel the world while also challenging your intellect.
- Not only will you be able to pick from a wide range of fields, but you’ll also have the option of working on either temporary (contract) or permanent jobs.
- The income potential, as well as the related employment advantages, might be significant.
Get your CV ready: Consider the following pointers to have the best CV ready and get an edge over your peers:
- Keep it concise, clear and mainly focus on the key points
- Add relevant skills and experience, employment and education in reverse chronological order
- Start networking with the professionals who have already been in the oil and gas industry
- Enter popular networks and join groups on Linkedin
- Attend the industry events to stay abreast of the trends, opportunities and knowledge
Offshore and oilfield occupations are constantly evolving, and technical requirements change as projects proceed. The energy business provides several possibilities for international travel as well as numerous challenging technical problems to overcome. Working in oil and gas engineering will allow you to travel the world while also challenging your intellect. This is your sign to pick your favorite field and commence a new journey. To understand how you can become a successful oil and gas professional you must read this blog. Furthermore, GET offers training and customized solutions to help the budding talent in the oil and gas industry to induct, upskill and enter the oil and gas industry as a professional. Reach out today, you are merely one click away!